Skip to main content
You are currently in a sub-section of

Vehicle Use


The Washington County School District maintains a fleet of vehicles for official district business. These vehicles are available on a mileage basis for individuals designated by the District.  The cost per mile is located at this Activity Fees link.

Proper Authorization

The following procedures apply to all employees requesting a district owned vehicle or the person responsible for the vehicle:

  • All district employees must have a valid drivers license and two years as a licensed driver to drive district vehicles.  
  • All employees that drive any vehicle during work time (including personal vehicles) must pass the defensive driving test located on the Utah State Risk Management. (Prior to driving, and every other year thereafter.) website:
  • All drivers should read a copy of the Washington County School District Procedures and Expectations, and understands Policy 1520 Employee Accident Reporting, as well as Administrative Letter #25.
  • The employee taking the vehicle must track their mileage and fuel in Fleet and any paperwork, if provided. Employees should set up an account at using their same login credentials as their email.  When entered, Fleet will track the name of the employee, purpose of the trip, date, destination, and beginning and ending mileage, and fuel. Fuel cards are assigned to the vehicle and should only be used for that vehicle. A card will be issued to you when picking up the vehicle.  A pin number will be issued at the same time.  You will need the pin number and correct odometer reading when it is time to fuel.  Fueling procedures must be followed each time the vehicle is fueled.  The following information must be included in Fleet when you log your fuel purchase:
    • the correct odometer reading,
    • total gallons purchase,
    • date,
    • the total dollar amount of purchase,
    • and a picture of the receipt.

The receipts will need to be kept with the information you received at the vehicle checkout.  At the completion of your travel, the bag with the keys, fuel card, and fuel receipts are to be turned back in to the person responsible for the vehicle.  All Maverick stores take the state fuel card.  Employees are asked to always use the state card for refueling whenever possible, because taxes will automatically be excluded.  If you cannot find a place that takes the state fuel card, you can use a station card (for example, Shell or Phillips 66) located in the packet.   In the event of an emergency where you are unable to find a place that accepts either the state fuel card or the station card, employees may pay for fuel using their personal funds, and submit their receipt for reimbursement. Employees should note that their personal card was used, but otherwise follow the same procedures. 

SUVs are also available for district employee use through an approved travel request.  Employees who wish to use SUVs must follow the proper procedures outlined in WCSD Policy 7020 In-State Field and Activity Trips, and have prior approval from the administrators who oversee the budgets.  SUVs should be requested at least ten working days in advance, 15 days if it requires district administrative approval. 

Returning the Vehicle

The vehicle must be returned clean (garbage removed), and fueled.  The vehicle must be returned to the same location.  The employee should ensure that the fleet requirements/paperwork are completed and all receipts are in the bag with the keys.  If the district or school building is closed, the bag should be placed in the designated drop box, or as instructed to you by the personnel who has been given the responsibility of the vehicle.

Personnel Responsible for Vehicles

Personnel who have been given the responsibility for a vehicle(s) must:

  • Be able to locate the car at all times.
  • Send fuel receipts to the Transportation Department on a monthly basis
  • Ensure vehicle mileage and tracking is up to date in fleet.
  • Make the vehicle available to Transportation for services.
  • Contact the Director of Transportation or the District Internal Auditor immediately if you discover receipts that do not match fleet, if any of the information in fleet appears to be incomplete or intentionally misleading, or if you come across any other information suggesting that the vehicle or the fuel cards were used by an employee for personal purposes unrelated to official district business.

The Transportation Department

The Transportation Department receives gas receipts and odometer readings monthly from each person responsible for a district vehicle.  When the vehicle is brought in for service, the Transportation Department will review fleet. The Transportation Department will perform spot audits in fleet, receipts, and bills match.  The District Internal Auditor may also do random audits.